“Women and shopping” are like two best friends. Women can sail across the borders for shopping. Indeed! No one can beat them when it comes to shopping. I am not saying to shop is bad, as it is sometimes a necessity too; but most often with many women, it ends with an addiction. An obsession for shopping is unquestionably wicked, so, if you are a shopaholic – you are certainly going to combat crisis sooner or later.
So, now the question comes, how to know that you are a diehard shopaholic?
In very simple words- those women who can’t control themselves while shopping and buy anything and everything without giving a second thought can term themselves as a shopaholic. Shopaholics always do shopping wherever they are: in a shopping mall, or in a store, or on their mobile – for them, it is all about shopping. Women who can control their obsession to shop certainly deserve a big salute and a scout clap!
Besides many other reasons, online shopping has made women a more compulsive shopper. You have noticed hordes of “Online Ads” on various social networking websites and on many other mobile apps; all of a sudden, they got to pop up from nowhere and lure us towards these shopping portals with lucrative discounts. In addition to shopping, the word “discount” act as an adrenaline rush and our basic curious nature tend to drag us to these shopping hubs, and then the drama begins with dilemma popping in our mind – “Should I take it or not?” sometimes it’s like “OMG! This is so beautiful – I need it by any means.”
I myself – an impulsive and obsessive online shopper. Also being a writer and an online entrepreneur, I use to come across many shopping portals on a regular basis. I must tell you; I have spent so much of my expedient money into ‘unnecessary’ shopping and now it’s like whenever I see my home it seems to be a junkyard… 🙂 So, I came up with some ideas to control this obsession and it worked on me that’s why I decided to share these ways and means with my female frontrunners to try on these…at least once! So, here we go:
- Disremember your Credit Card: Credit cards are our partners in crime; so first unfriend them. Keep aside somewhere or handover to your partner or parents but simply don’t keep it in your wallet. Delete it from your saved cards options from online shopping accounts. It is one of the simplest ways – as when there is no money, you just can’t shop.
- Limit your Bank Balance: Another payment for online shopping is internet banking. So, make sure you are going to keep only one bank account meant for your online shopping and in case if you have more than one bank account, try to activate only one account for net banking. Must remember to keep your bank balance a low profile, if you have extra money, invest it or go for fixed deposits or transfer it your other bank account, so the best you can do is – just don’t waste it for unwanted merchandises.
- You are Your Best Guide: Now, the most important thing is to control your mind. Learn to control your mind as you are your best guide. Whenever you are compelled and lured by a beautiful piece of jewelry or a sexy outfit
Just try to concentrate your mind and ask questions about your inner soul:
- Do you really need this one?
- Is this so needed that you have to burden yourself with credits? Or
- Don’t you have other important needs to be fulfilled first?
Likewise, there are many such questions which can help you to rethink and change your decision. Try hard to close the window if you are on an online shopping portal or quit the boutique or store as soon as you can. Keep repeating this act and after some time, you will discover – “Yes, I can live without these!”
‘Never go backward. Attempt, and do it with all your might. The determination is power. ‘- Charles Simmons
- Challenge and Pamper Yourself: If you are an online shopper, make a promise to yourself that you are not going to browse any shopping websites for next couple of days; instead, you will do something else which is meant for you to do first. Keep on repeating, talk to your inner voice constantly, and ask questions to yourself. Give challenges to control your hyperactive shopping hormones. Meanwhile never forget to pamper yourself – ‘You are a strong woman you can do it’. On the other hand, if you love to go to a boutique or store for shopping, please try to pull back yourself to stay at home or at your workplace, try to accomplish other important tasks which you are missing due to this shopping addiction. Try to find a better way to manage your craving for shopping or to control your wish to shop. Do it, don’t forget ‘slow and steady always wins the race’.
- “Two Heads are Better Than One”: Sometimes to control any addiction on your own is tough, so it’s better to make a group of friends who are also shopaholic like you. Make blameless, worthy and effective rules and follow that. Help your friends and get help from them to control your addiction. Take help from your family, parents, and spouse, as accept it or not, it is a bitter fact that you are causing a bit of twinge to them too due to your shopping spree.
- Delete all Shopping Apps: Delete all the shopping Apps from your cell phone, as it is a very common habit; when you have nothing to do with your Facebook, Twitter or Whatsapp, you are certainly going to open these shopping apps. Nowadays, these online shopping sites have an elasticity to give lucrative discounts, so be sure if you are on these apps these discounts or some hot deals will come up to fascinate your shopping binge. So, delete it ASAP! As if there is no app, there will be no shopping.
- Shop as per your Budget: One thing you can do is – make a yearly list and budget and then allocate it to your monthly budget same like you do for your grocery shopping. Make a list of your personal needs depending upon the occasions; try to save a little extra cash like kids do with their piggy savings. Control your mind to such extent that you will shop only when you have enough money saved for your needs. Life is unpredictable, sometimes we have to confront many unplanned expenses which are a ‘must’ and then you are going to stress yourself. So, instead of being stressed it is better to be planned to confront any needs which come to you without knocking-so get ready to serve such situation with a planned budget.
You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them. – Maya Angelou
These are some tips; I tried on myself and literally saved myself from this shopping spree which was killing my hard earn money as well as my time too, which I could have used for a better purpose. These are totally my views, my trials on me, so in case, you have any other idea please do share with us.